Application For A Licence To Operate As An Asbestos Removalist
- Application for a Licence to Operate as an Asbestos Removalist (PDF 101kb)
Document Type: Form
Category: Asbestos, Licensing and Registrations,
Publication Date: 11 October 2007
Date First Published: 11 October 2006
Summary: This form should be used to apply for an asbestos removal licence - Class A or Class B.
About this form
You can obtain a licence to remove asbestos for the following categories:
- Class A, friable and non-friable – remove any type of asbestos
- Class A, specific friable asbestos
- Class B, non-friable asbestos
- Class B, specific non-friable asbestos
Friable asbestos crumbles or reduces to a powder when dry.
Non-friable means materials containing asbestos that have been mixed with cement or other hard bonding materials.
A licence holder is usually required to notify WorkSafe before any asbestos removal work is carried out.
- The application fee for a Class A licence is $507 and for Class B licence is $469.
- $45 for a replacement licence.
- There is no fee for adding extra site supervisors to your licence.
Licence is valid for 5 years
Where to send the form
WorkSafe Licensing branch
GPO Box 4293
Melbourne VIC 3001
Download and complete the application form. You must also provide details of:
- other asbestos removal licences/approvals granted by any Australian state or territory
- Identification form – natural person to be completed by the individual who is applying for, or nominating someone to, access the HCDG. You must also provide:
- 100 points of identification at least one with your photograph and signature,
- identification showing your date of birth,
- 2 verified passport sized photographs
- Identification form – non-individual only complete this form if the applicant is a body corporate or company. (If you have previously completed these identification forms, you do not need to complete them again, unless your details have changed.)
- the medical practitioner who will undertake regular medical examinations of each employee
- personal protective equipment (PPE) including respiratory protection to be worn by employees, information on the HEPA vacuum cleaner and laundering arrangements for PPE
- proof of training in asbestos removal for each employee. In the form of course certificates, letters from training provider/training institution
- nominated supervisors* and their involvement in six most recent asbestos removal jobs, preferably undertaken in the last two years. Give project name and dates. Note supervisors must have at least two years experience in asbestos removal work.
For a Class A licence application you must also provide:
- a copy of a current health and safety management system certificate, which is clearly related to Asbestos removal and is accredited by JAS-ANZ
- details of the person who will be responsible for ensuring the certificate is current.
* If you want to add extra site supervisors to your licence, you need to complete form Asbestos Removal Licence - Nomination of Additional Site Supervisor. To remove site supervisors from your licence, write to WorkSafe and your licence will be updated.