Independent Medical Examiners
Independent Medical Examiners (IMEs) are healthcare professionals approved by WorkSafe who conduct independent medical examinations, the findings of which are used in decisions related to WorkSafe claims.
Independent Medical Examiners play a critical role in ensuring that Victoria's workers' compensation scheme provides the right treatments and benefits to injured workers.
Note: August 2016 – Independent Medical Examiner applications on hold*
Due to the high volume of recent submissions there is currently a hold on applications to become an approved Independent Medical Examiner for WorkSafe.
Please check back for future updates or if you have any queries please contact the IME Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
WorkSafe can pay the reasonable costs of your services as detailed in the relevant fee schedule.
- Independent Medical Examination allied health fee schedule (available from the fees A to Z page)
- Independent Medical Examination dental fee schedule (available from the fees A to Z page)
- Independent Medical Examination medical practitioners fee schedule (available from the fees A to Z page)
Becoming an Independent Medical Examiner
Applicants must have at least five years of clinical experience in their area of speciality and be currently working at least eight hours of clinical practice each week. Experience in working with compensable clients is an advantage.
Applicants must meet the mandatory selection criteria before being considered for approval to conduct independent medical examinations. Highly desirable criteria will also be taken into consideration.
- Allied health practitioners seeking approval as Independent Medical Examiners (physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy and psychology only)
- Dentists seeking approval as Independent Medical Examiners
- Medical practitioners seeking approval as Independent Medical Examiners - General Practitioners
- Medical practitioners seeking approval as Independent Medical Examiners - Specialists
An Independent Medical Examiner must be approved under section 112 of the Accident Compensation Act 1985 and will be required to sign the Independent Medical Examiners declaration. The declaration applies terms, conditions and standards including participating in peer reviews for quality assurance purposes.
The IME manual
The links below outline the contents of WorkSafe's IME manual.
- Handbook for independent medical examiner reports
- Independent medical examinations report template and 'user' guide
- IME Service Standards
- Quality Assurance Program (QAP): QAP process, QAP explanatory notes and peer reviewer marking sheet
- Clinical Framework for the Delivery of Health Services
- IME Selection Process
- Independent medical examinations for injured workers
- Section 112 of the Accident Compensation Act 1985
- Section 27 of the Workplace Injury Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2013
- WorkSafe Agents
- Current Self Insurers
- IME complaints process
- Personal Safety and Security
If you are an approved IME it is important that WorkSafe has your current contact details. If you need to update these details or have any general questions about your IME Declaration, the role of IMEs or any other feedback, please contact the IME Services Team:
- Phone: (03) 9641 1444 or 1800 136 089 (toll free)
- Fax: (03) 9656 9373
- Email: email@example.com