Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

Workers: The Claims Process

Follow the steps to find out what you need to do if you have a work-related injury or illness.

Are you an employer? Follow the employer journey

Seek appropriate treatment

The most important thing is your health and getting appropriate treatment.

You should keep copies of all treatment invoices and receipts.

Notify your employer in writing of your injury or illness

Your injury or illness must be recorded in your workplace's register of injuries within 30 days of you first becoming aware of it or you may not be entitled to compensation. This should be done by you, or someone on your behalf.

If you are unable to record your injury or illness in the register of injuries, you still need to notify your employer in writing within 30 days of becoming aware of your injury or illness.

You should also keep your employer informed about any time away from work that you may need, or any assistance that you need to return to safe work, which could include reduced hours or modifications to your duties or work area.

Decide whether you want to lodge a claim

If you lose income or require treatment because of your injury and you wish to claim compensation from VWA, you need to make a claim.

Tips and tools to help you through this stage


What your employer should be doing

Your employer should:

  • Notify VWA only if there has been a serious incident
  • Ensure the Register of Injuries is accessible and has been filled out
  • Communicate with you while you are away from work
  • Provide you with return to work information, and assist you with planning your return to work.

If you have given your employer a Worker’s Injury Claim Form, you can read about what else they should be doing.