Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

Key People Involved in Return to Work

Just like a professional sports person, an injured worker requires the support of a team of people. The injured worker’s rehabilitation team, including their GP, need to work together and communicate openly in order to effect a successful return to work.

WorkSafe Agents

The case manager from a WorkSafe agent helps workers receive their entitlements under the Legislation. The worker’s employer is appropriately reimbursed and service providers, including GPs, are paid the reasonable costs of necessary treatment and services for injured workers in accordance with WorkSafe’s scheduled fees. The case manager also provides advice and assistance to help injured workers return to work. At times the Case Manager may be required to request information about an injured worker’s treatment in order to properly assess claims for compensation.
More information on WorkSafe Agents

Return to Work Coordinator (Employer)

A return to work coordinator’s job is to help the injured worker and their employer meet their legal obligations, which include:

• Planning for an injured worker’s return to work
• Consulting directly with the injured worker about their return to work, with their GP (subject to the consent of the worker) and occupational rehabilitation provider (if involved).
• For a period of 52 weeks, provide their injured worker with suitable employment if they have an incapacity for work or pre-injury employment or equivalent when they have returned to full capacity.
• Make information about return to work available to all workers.
More information about return to work coordinators

Allied health

Allied health providers play a crucial role in managing the treatment of an injured worker.  An injured worker will rely on their GP to develop a treatment plan which may include referrals to a physiotherapist, chiropractor, osteopath, psychologist or occupational therapist.
For more information, view the relevant service on the Allied Health page.

Network providers

Network providers are allied health providers with specific skills and experience in treating injured workers with the aim to provide quality healthcare and successful return to work outcomes.

Network Occupational Therapy (OT)

More information about Network OT


Network Pain Management Programs

More information about Network Pain Management Programs


Locate a Network PMP provider

Occupation rehabilitation provider

Occupational rehabilitation providers have specific skills and experience in helping people return to work following an injury. They must be approved by WorkSafe to provide services, but they operate independently. Service may vary depending on the worker’s capacity to work and individual circumstances, but generally these providers will:
• Engage with the various parties to reach a common understanding of the return to work goal

• Provide recommendations and strategies to overcome identified barriers to returning to work

• Suggest changes to the workplace to help the injured person transition back to work

• Help the injured person gain skills in other areas of work where needed

GP Action
You can make recommendations to your patient's Agent case manager where you think they may require additional support in returning to work.  The WorkSafe Agent may then refer your patient for vocational rehabilitation services.   
An occupational rehabilitation provider will often seek your medical expertise in helping your patient return to work. You can help by identifying what you believe are the barriers to return to work and offer your opinion on issues or concerns you have about your patient's recovery.

Getting Return to Work assistance


A self-insurer

Self-insurers are employers approved by WorkSafe to manage their own injured workers’ compensation claims. Please visit Self-insurance for more information.