Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

Permanent impairment entitlements

If you have a work-related injury or illness that has resulted in a permanent impairment you may be entitled to a lump sum payment, called an impairment benefit. 

An impairment benefit payment is separate from any compensation for lost income and medical expenses, and you need to meet certain thresholds to be eligible.

Full details on permanent impairment entitlements can be found in:

Examples of a permanent impairment can include:

  • reduced shoulder movement
  • a spinal cord injury
  • an amputated finger.

Your WorkSafe Agent can provide more information on how to make a claim for an impairment benefit.

Download the Workers Claim for Impairment Benefits claim form

Legal representation is not necessary to make an Impairment Benefit claim. You do have the right to legal representation if you choose, and your VWA Agent will liaise with your lawyer about your impairment benefit claim. Any legal costs you may incur are not covered by VWA.

Assessing impairment

To be eligible for an impairment benefit, you must have your injury or illness properly assessed, once your condition is stable. Assessments are conducted by doctors called Independent Impairment Assessors.

Independent Impairment Assessors are specially trained in assessing injuries according to specific guidelines.

If you have lodged an impairment benefit claim, it is likely you will need to attend an impairment examination with an assessor.

Further information for legal representatives

Further information for impairment assessors