Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

Treatment expenses

If you have a work-related injury or illness, you may be entitled to compensation of the associated treatment expenses. VWA can pay the reasonable costs of what is known as medical and like services.

You can choose which healthcare provider you use, as long as they meet the requirements of Victorian workers compensation legislation.

Access to services

Following a workplace injury or illness you may require prompt access to healthcare services to aid in quick recovery and return to work.

You can access these services without a referral or initial approval from your VWA Agent. These services include:

  • Ambulance
  • Chiropractic
  • Dental services
  • Family counselling
  • MRI scan
  • Optometry
  • Osteopathic
  • Physiotherapy
  • Podiatry

Referred services

VWA may also fund other healthcare services which you can access with a medical referral or with prior approval from your VWA Agent. 

Medical practitioner referral

  • Acupuncture
  • Audiology
  • Dietetics
  • Exercise Physiology
  • Household Help
  • Grief and Loss Counselling
  • Naturopathy
  • Nursing
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Psychology
  • Remedial Massage
  • Social Work
  • Speech Pathology

VWA Agent approval

  • Attendant Care
  • Aids and Appliances
  • Community Access
  • Child Care
  • Car Modifications
  • Elective Surgery
  • Equipment
  • External Case Management
  • Hearing Device
  • Home exercise equipment
  • Home Modifications
  • Gym or swim programs
  • Implantable Pain Therapy
  • Network Occupational Therapy
  • Network Psychology
  • Pain Management Program
  • Network Pain Management Program
  • Private Psychiatric Hospital
  • Removalist costs
  • Respite Care

Multiple treatments

VWA will only fund one type of physical treatment (physiotherapy, osteopathic or chiropractic) at a time. This is because it is difficult to effectively measure the benefits and outcomes of the treatments when delivered at the same time.

If a healthcare provider is registered with VWA for more than one type of service (for example, acupuncture and remedial massage), VWA will only pay for one of the treatments on the same day.

Making decisions

When making decisions about the payment of your treatment, your VWA Agent will consider all available information, including:

  • medical certificates
  • reports from treating health practitioners
  • your individual needs and circumstances at the time of the request
  • the nature and benefit of the treatment
  • whether the service has been approved by VWA and whether the service provider is appropriately registered
  • Whether the cost of the service is reasonable.

VWA Agents are required to provide you with clear reasons for their decisions about the treatment services they approve.

Reimbursement for costs

VWA prefers that your healthcare provider invoices your employer or your VWA Agent directly. Talk to your VWA Agent or employer to determine who your provider should invoice. VWA will only pay for the approved cost of treatment.

If you choose to pay an account at the time of the service, then you should be reimbursed within 30 days of your VWA Agent receiving your receipt. You must send your receipts to your employer or VWA Agent within six months of the treatment.

Please note that payment of the reasonable costs of services does not necessarily mean payment of the full costs. In some cases there may be a gap between what the provider charges and what VWA will pay.

Network providers

Network providers are healthcare providers who specialise in the treatment of injured workers and are contracted by VWA. Talk to your VWA Agent about finding a network provider. Network providers will not charge fees above VWA's approved costs.