Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions


Explosives are used in mining and quarrying, trenching and sub-soiling, rock breaking and stump removal, ammunition and theatrical, and fireworks displays.

Examples include: fireworks, ammonium nitrate/fuel oil mixes, blasting primers, detonators, smokeless powder, fuses, rail track signals, distress flares and safety cartridges.

A licence is required from WorkSafe before you can manufacture, store, sell, import, transport and use explosives. This includes discharging fireworks. 

New Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011

Victoria has updated the legal requirements for the manufacture, storage, sale, import, transport and use of explosives, with the introduction of the Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011.

Most of the requirements in the old regulations are the same as the new ones. However, there are some changes, which have been introduced to improve public safety and security and to clarify responsibilities so that the law is easier to understand.

The new regulations came into effect on 26 June 2011. However, licence holders retain licences issued under the Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2000 until they expire.

There is a 12 month transitional period, which means that any lawful activity under the Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2000 will remain lawful for 12 months after the new regulations come into effect.

Learn more about the changes: