Your legal duties
If a workplace incident occurs, immediately after becoming aware an employer, occupier or person in charge must:
- contact the WorkSafe Incident Notification Unit on 132 360
- ensure incident scene is not disturbed until an inspector arrives. Sites can only be disturbed to protect a person's health or safety, help someone who is injured or to make the site safe
- complete and send an incident notification form to WorkSafe within the following 48 hours.
To lodge an incident notification form you can either:
- complete an Online Incident Notification Form using the reference number issued to you when you notified WorkSafe of the incident. The online incident notification form consists of six screens. When you have completed the last screen you will be able to:
- submit it to WorkSafe via the internet
- print a copy of the submitted form for your records.
- download an Incident Notification Form and fax it to (03) 9641 1091 or mail it to:
Incident Notification Unit
GPO Box 4306
You must keep a record of the incident notification form for at least five years.
Queries should be directed to the Incident Notification Unit on 132 360, or to the Incident Notification Coordinator at email@example.com