Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

Health and safety incidents

Employers, occupiers and persons in charge must report incidents to WorkSafe Victoria at 132 360. See Your legal duties for notification time frames.

Deaths and life-threatening injuries, like amputations, must be reported immediately.

Other serious incidents, such as those listed below, should be reported as soon as the employer is aware of the incident.

  • a person requires medical treatment:
    • after exposure to a substance
    • as an inpatient in hospital
    • for a serious injury such as an amputation, a head or eye injury, electric shock, spinal injuries or serious laceration.
  • incidents where employees or other persons are in the immediate vicinity of a risk such as:
    • registered or licensed plant that has collapsed, overturned, failed or malfunctioned
    • collapse of an excavation supporting an excavation
    • collapse of a building or structure
    • implosion, explosion or fire
    • incidents involving Dangerous Goods
    • plant or objects falling from high places
    • in relation to a mine:
      • overturning or collapse of any plant
      • inrush of water, mud or gas
      • interruption of the main system of ventilation.

 WorkSafe will call the employer or occupier the same day and advise the employer or occupier:

  • if an inspector will visit their site
  • whether the employer or occupier can disturb the incident scene.

Serious incidents will be assessed by a WorkSafe Inspector. For more information, refer to compliance and enforcement.