Safety Data Sheets
If an SDS is developed in accordance with another Australian jurisdiction's hazardous substances legislation (e.g. Work Health and Safety legislation) then it is deemed to also comply with the Victorian OHS Regulations.
SDS's provide information on:
- the manufacturer or importing supplier
- the product (its name, ingredients and properties)
- how the product can affect your health
- precautions for using or storing it safely.
Who prepares and provides SDSs?
- prepare an SDS for each of their products
- provide the current SDS to employers or occupiers of premises where the product is used or stored
- review and revise each SDS as often as necessary and at least every 5 years to make sure that the information is accurate and up to date.
Downstream suppliers of dangerous goods and hazardous substances must also provide SDSs developed by the manufacturer or importer. This does not apply to suppliers who are retailers (for example, hardware stores).
- they obtain an up to date SDS for each of these products
- their employees, contractors and emergency services personnel have access to the MSDS.
A SDS must be written in English, be legible and include the information listed below:
- Product identifier and chemical identity
- Manufacturer or importer details
- Emergency telephone number
- Date of preparation or last review
- Hazard identification
- Hazard statement(s) and precautionary statement(s)
- Composition of the substance and information on hazardous ingredients
- First aid measures
- Firefighting measures and accidental release measures
- Exposure control, including exposure standards, engineering controls and personal protection information
- Information relating to handling and storage, including how the substance may be safely used
- Disposal considerations Information relating to the physical and chemical properties of the substance
- Information relating to the physical and chemical properties of the substance
- Stability and reactivity information
- Toxicological information, including health effects