Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

Construction Induction Training and Card

About the Construction and Induction Training and Card
Apply for the card
More information

About the Construction Induction Training and Card 

All people performing construction work require proof of having completed a general OHS construction induction for the industry.

An employer must not knowingly refuse to accept from a person
(a) a current construction induction card; or
(b) a construction statement of attainment issued to a person within the previous 60-day period; or
(c) a card evidencing completion before 1 July 2008 of the Construction Industry Basic Induction training course; or
(d) recognised evidence of construction induction training.


  • You pay the cost of your training course, which can vary between RTO's. The licence application fee is included in the training course fee.

Apply for the card 

  • To obtain a construction induction card, you must attend a construction induction training course with a registered training organisation (RTO). You must provide the RTO with photo ID.
  • While you wait for your construction induction card to be issued, you can use the 'statement of attainment' issued by the RTO as proof of having completed the training.
  • As long as you have a statement of attainment, you can do construction work while waiting to receive your construction induction card.

'Red card holders'

Holders of evidence of completion of the Construction Induction Basic Training course before 1 July 2008 ('red card' holders) are exempt from the requirement to hold a current construction induction card. An employer must accept a card evidencing completion of the Construction Induction Basic Training course before 1 July 2008.

Holders of a red card who want to apply for a current construction induction card ('white card') can use the 'red card' as written evidence of having completed the Construction Industry Basic Induction training course before 1 July 2008 provided the card is legible and contains sufficient information to satisfy the Authority/RTO that the applicant completed the required training prior to 1 July 2008. Where the applicant does not have a suitable 'red card' a statement of attainment issued by the RTO who provided the training will be required. 

If the applicant cannot produce either of these documents or has not undertaken construction work for more than two years Construction induction training will need to be undertaken to obtain a 'white card'.

More information