Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

Dangerous Goods Transport

Dangerous Goods (Transport by Road and Rail) and (Explosives) Amendment Regulations 2017

Removal of License "metal" labels

The Victoria Government has approved the Dangerous Goods (Transport by Road or Rail) and (Explosives) Amendment Regulation 2017 (Regulation) to align with recent changes made to the national model dangerous goods laws. The amendments which take effect on the 1 March 2017, mean that licensed dangerous goods vehicles will no longer need to be issued a "licence label" to be attached to a road vehicle.

This change is a "red tape reduction" initiative which will further reduce the costs to the dangerous goods industry, align with changes already made in NSW and WA and dispense with registration labels on all Victorian road vehicles.

What does this change mean to you?
The change in the Regulation means that dangerous goods vehicles licensed from the 1 March 2017 (new and renewals) will not be issued with a licence label. WorkSafe Victoria will however continue to issue paper dangerous goods vehicle licences.

Although not a regulatory requirement, it is advisable that licensed dangerous goods vehicles drivers carry some form of licence documentation for production if requested by a member of the Police, a WorkSafe Inspector, or a member of the Emergency Services.

A vehicle licence is not required for the prime mover of a semi-trailer or combination vehicle only the part carrying the dangerous goods as a complete unit as in:

  • a road tank vehicle having a tank as an integral part of the vehicle or attached or intended to be attached to the vehicle. This includes a semi-trailer or a unit of a B-Double combination and demountable tanks that may be attached to a vehicle that then operates as a road tank vehicle; or
  • a tank trailer which is a dog trailer with tank attached; or
  • a rigid , semi-trailer (including a unit of a B-Double) or dog trailer used to transport IBCs or portable tanks and may have a flat deck, van or pantechnicon body, or curtain side or bulk bin.
  • if the vehicle has a tank forming part of, or attached to or intended to be attached to the vehicle, the tank must be an approved tank.

Dangerous Goods Transport Restrictions

A person is prohibited from transporting some classes of dangerous goods through Melbourne CBD and City Link tunnels.

Tank Design Approval

All tanks whether forming part of, or attached to or intended to be attached to the vehicle, that are required to carry dangerous goods must have their design approved by the Authority. To have a design approved the applicant must submit copies of technical drawings and the information required under Chapter 6.9 of the Code. For more information on applying for a tank design approval reference should be made to the Approval - Road Tank Design Advice