Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

Licence For A Vehicle To Transport Dangerous Goods

About the licence
Apply or renew 
More information

About the licence 

Owners of dangerous goods transport vehicles are required to licence each vehicle. Each vehicle is licensed according to the class of dangerous goods carried.

Specifically a vehicle licence is required when a road vehicle is used to transport:

  • dangerous goods that are in a container with a capacity of more than 500 litres; or
  • more than 500 kilograms of dangerous goods in a container.

This requirement does not apply if:

  • the goods are transported in an IBC; and
  • the IBC is not filled or emptied whilst on the vehicle; and
  • the total capacity of the IBC's containing dangerous goods on the vehicle is not more than 3,000 litres.
Note-the driver must also hold a licence to transport dangerous goods


  • $60 per vehicle

(Please note that minimum vehicle insurance for placard loads is $5 million.)

Licence is valid for 5 years.

Where to send the form

WorkSafe Licensing branch
GPO Box 4293
Melbourne VIC 3001

Link to the application form
Licence for a vehicle to transport dangerous goods.

Apply for or renew the licence 

Complete the application form ensuring it is signed, witnessed and dated, and also provide

  • copy of any associated tank approval(s) if applicable
  • required fee.

More information