Did you know workers in aged care have a higher than average chance of being seriously injured at work?
More than 64% of these injuries are caused by hazardous manual handling and slips, trips and falls.
There have been over 2000 claims in aged care over the past three years (2012/13 – 2014/15), which is the second highest in the health care and social assistance industry after hospitals. Almost 55% of these claims are due to body stressing and the cost over the past three years has been over $115 million.
The Aged Care Facility Resident Handling Assessment Tool [DOC, 3.5MB] is for employers in the residential aged care sector to assess internal safety management systems set up for the handling of residents. It will help you identify system gaps that, once rectified, will lead to safer practice.
Health and safety solutions to the top hazards in Aged care are available, including:
- Transferring people safely
- Repositioning people in bed
- Transferring people from beds and chairs
- Transferring people from toileting and bathing
- Assisting people who have fallen
- Occupational Violence and Aggression (OVA) Incident Investigation Tool [PDF, 60kB]