Safety management system
You must establish and implement a documented safety management system as the primary means of ensuring the safe operation of the facility.
A safety management system must:
- provide a comprehensive and integrated management system for the control of risk
- be accessible and comprehensible
- set out the operator's safety policy
- describe safety objectives and the systems and procedures to achieve them
- set out how legal duties will be complied with
- include all additional matters specified in schedule 10 of the regulations (for example, organisation and personnel, operational controls, management of change, performance monitoring and auditing).
You must also prepare a Safety Case to demonstrate the adequacy of the safety management system and the control measures in preventing major incidents.
Because of the risks involved in operating a MHF, operators have specific obligations to consult with employees and the community.