About the industry
Storage and warehousing involves storing goods until they are required, then preparing the goods for transportation.
The main steps in this process are:
- receiving goods from manufacturers, importers and suppliers
- transferring the goods onto pallets for storage
- storing the goods in appropriate conditions (for example, freezers, cold areas, silos or racking)
- responding to customer orders by picking products from warehouse shelves and preparing them for transportation (for instance, placing them on pallets or wrapping them)
- loading orders onto vehicles for transport to the customer.
Specific legal requirements apply to the storage of dangerous goods (substances that are flammable, explosive or toxic).