Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

I am a sole trader

Even if you are a sole trader and have no employees, you may still have licensing requirements or need to make your workplace safe for visitors. Or you might want some safety tips yourself.

Do I need to take out WorkSafe insurance?

If you expect to pay more than $7,500 a year in rateable remuneration, or if you have any apprentices or trainees, you must take out a WorkSafe insurance policy. If you are unsure, watch this short video.

Yes, I need insurance

You will need to apply for WorkSafe insurance. You can register online or download an application form and send it to a WorkSafe agent. Agents are insurance companies appointed by WorkSafe to manage insurance policies and injured workers' compensation claims.

No, I don't need insurance

You do not need to take out a policy at this time. However, don't forget to check again if you have any changes in your remuneration or if you put on more staff or hire trainees or apprentices.

What if I use a contractor?

If the work the contractor is undertaking for you makes up more than 80% of their total workload, it is likely that what you are paying them needs to be included as part of your rateable remuneration. You can help determine this by using our Contractors and Workers Assessment tool.

Do I have any OHS obligations if I don't employ workers?

Although you do not need to take out a WorkSafe policy as a sole trader, you might still have OHS obligations.

If you run your own shop or office that members of the public can access, you need to ensure you do not put them at risk. You can make sure your workplace is safe for public visitors by carrying out a risk assessment.

Are there any other OHS requirements I need to know about?

In Victoria, certain machinery or plant, such as forklifts, need to be registered with WorkSafe. You may also need to be licensed for certain activities, such as using fireworks or driving a truck that transports dangerous goods.

Even if I don't have any legal OHS obligations, I still want information to help make my workplace safe for me. Can you help?

Are you after safety information for: