Return to Work Coordinators need to have an appropriate level of seniority and competence to perform their role.
WorkSafe highly recommends that the nominated coordinators complete the two day 'Role of a Return to Work Coordinator' training course, developed and endorsed by WorkSafe.
The course covers:
- The return to work process and the role of the Return to Work Coordinators.
- Information that the Return to Work Coordinators will need to support and assist employers and injured workers.
- Information and underlying skills that will assist Return to Work Coordinators to facilitate the successful return to work of injured workers.
This training may also be of value to line managers, supervisors and Health and Safety Representatives.
To ensure quality and consistency, WorkSafe has approved training providers to deliver the 'Role of a return to work coordinator' training.
If you are interested in becoming an approved training provider, you must apply directly to WorkSafe.
Training program - Return to Work Coordinators operating in Vic, NSW, or Qld
In consultation with WorkCover New South Wales, WorkCover Queensland and WorkSafe Victoria, a training program from each State has been designed for Return to Work Coordinators to learn about return to work in each State.
Each training program addresses:
- Key differences between legislation.
- Legislative obligations of employers.
- Role of the return to work coordinator in each State.
- Basic information regarding worker entitlements.
- Role of the agent/insurer in injury, claims and return to work management.
- Issues in working with doctors, rehabilitation and treatment providers.
- Dispute prevention and resolution strategies.
- Sources of further information regarding injury management and return to work.
To undertake any of these training programs you are required to submit one of the following certificates to your chosen training provider.
- WorkSafe approved 2 day 'Role of a return to work coordinator'.
- NSW WorkCover approved 2 day 'Introduction to return to work coordination'.
- Q-Comp approved 3 day 'Rehabilitation and return to work coordinator' training.
Training provider contacts:
Victorian based Return to Work Coordinators can contact the following providers to complete NSW or Q-comp modules:
|Allianz Australia Workers Compensation (Victoria) Ltd||ph: 03 92343800|
|Xchanging||ph: 03 99473000|
|CGU Workers Compensation (Vic) Limited||ph: 03 86301000|
|Gallagher Bassett Services Pty Ltd||ph: 03 92979000|
|QBE Workers Compensation (VIC) Limited||ph: 92462444|
|Australian Industry Group||ph: 98670111|
|OccCorp Pty Ltd||ph: 98657107|
|Recovre Pty Ltd||Ph 1300 550276|
|Victorian Employers' Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VECCI)||ph:86625333|
NSW or QLD based Return to Work Coordinators can contact the following providers to complete the Victorian module:
NSW Training Providers
|Advantage Plus Training Solutions||ph: 0413 450 529|
|Allianz Australia Workers Compensation (NSW) Ltd||ph: 02 49851275|
|Australian Industry Group||ph: 02 96303455|
|CGU Workers Compensation (NSW)||ph: 02 90888661|
|Interact Injury Management||ph: 1300 618 868|
|Konekt||ph: 02 60497902|
|Job Safety Assistance||ph: 02 6024 5982|
Queensland Training Providers
|Echelon||ph: 07 30005540|
|Australian Industry Group||ph: 07 32441739|
|National Safety Council of Australia,||ph: 07 32552600|
|Kinetic Health||ph: 07 38 333 222|
Victorian Training Providers
(offering the Victorian Harmonisation module for those previously trained in NSW or QLD)
|CGU Workers Compensation Victoria Pty. Ltd||ph: 1300 138 601|
|Gallagher Bassett Services Pty Ltd||ph 03 92979058|
|National Safety Council of Australia,||ph: 03 9832 1555|
|OccCorp Pty Ltd||ph: 9865 7107|
|Recovre||ph: 03 8689 4667|
|Rehabilitation Outcomes||ph: 02 6023 4644|
Contact providers directly for session dates, times and costs.
On completion of these training programs participants are eligible to receive a certificate acknowledging successful completion from the training provider who delivered the training in Victoria, from the NSW WorkCover Authority or Q-Comp in their respective states.
Certificate IV in Personal Injury Management (Return to Work)Qualifications in return to work
Delivered by the Personal Injury Education Foundation (PIEF), Certificate IV in Personal Injury Management (Return to Work) is designed to provide the skills and knowledge to equip participants to:
- return injured workers back to the workplace following an injury or illness
- administer and manage workplace-based injury management programs
This program is designed for people who have an interest in or responsibility for, coordinating and facilitating injured workers with a safe and early return to work - a process that benefits both the worker and the employer. Successfully completing this program will provide participants with a nationally recognised qualification in Return to Work, endorsed by the Commonwealth Government and all Australian state and territory governments.
PIEF is a non-for-profit organisation established in 2006. Their members include a consortium of Australian and New Zealand accident compensation regulators, insurers and claims management organisations. The programs developed by PIEF are designed to enrich and enhance the range and depth of personal injury management skills, leading to better outcomes for all accident compensation schemes and the communities they are designed to serve.
For further information contact PIEF on (03) 9940 4893 or visit the pief.com.au