Asbestos.vic.gov.au is the new home of all advice for people concerned about Asbestos.
The use of all forms of asbestos has been banned in Australia since the end of 2003. This means that the import, manufacture, supply, sale and use or reuse of asbestos and asbestos-containing products is no longer permitted. The ban doesn't apply to asbestos installed prior to this date (eg in residential or commercial buildings).
Due to its strength, durability and resistance to fire and water, asbestos was used in a wide range of building products and materials up until the mid-1980s. Products that may contain asbestos include vinyl floor tiles, cement roof sheeting and wall lining, lagging and jointing material and fire blankets.
You should consult the site for information about the duties and responsibilities regarding Asbestos and the extent of your management or control for;
- Employers and your role in safe management of Asbestos in Workplaces
- Self Employed and your role in health a safety related to Asbestos
- Commercial Property Owners and what you need to know if you rent or lease a building to a business or businesses
- Employees and removing exposure to Asbestos
- Laws and guidance relating to workplaces
You also can find information describing health facts and different asbestos materials
National Strategic Plan
Victoria has signed up to the National Strategic Plan, find out more about the National Strategic Plan here