What are falls?
Employers have a duty to ensure their workplace is safe, and this means controlling the risk of falls from any height.
Analysis has shown that the risk of injury from a fall increases significantly for falls from two metres or more.
The prevention of falls part of the OHS regulations applies when there is a risk of a fall of more than two metres.
Typical falls that cause death and injury include those resulting from:
- using unsafe or incomplete scaffolds
- inappropriate ladders/ladder use
- falling from or through roofs
- falls from trucks
- falls into holes, pits or shafts
- accessing shelving
- accessing mezzanine areas.