Work through this list in the following order to control the risk of falls at your workplace. In many instances, a combination of approaches will result in the best solution.
1. Do the work on the ground or on a solid construction
Example: Use tilt-up concrete construction instead of constructing the concrete walls at a height.
2. Use a passive fall prevention device
Example: Elevating work platform, scaffolding or guard railing.
3. Use a work positioning system
Example: Industrial rope access system or travel restraint system.
4. Install a fall arrest system
Example: Industrial safety net, catch platform or safety harness system.
5. Use a fixed or portable ladder, or implement administrative controls
Example: Establish a safe work procedure to prevent employees from accessing a brittle and fragile roof, and put up a sign.