Reporting An Incident
Employers, occupiers and person in charge must report the following types of incidents to VWA.
Health and safety incidents:
- employees or persons who require either:
- medical treatment by a doctor (eg fractures, administration of a drug or medical treatment)
- immediate treatment as an in-patient in a hospital
- incidents involving high risk equipment or plant listed in the Equipment (Public Safety) Regulations 2007
- theft of explosives
- injuries caused by explosives
- any releases of dangerous goods (eg gas leaks or spills of liquids).
What happens if I don't report an incident?
Employers or occupiers that do not report incident appropriately may be prosecuted under the following Acts and Regulations:
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2007
- Equipment Public Safety Act 1994
- Equipment (Public Safety) Regulations 2007
- Dangerous Goods Act 1985
- Dangerous Goods Explosives Regulations 2000
- Dangerous Goods Storage and Handling Regulations 2000.
Penalties may include fines, enforceable undertakings or warning letters. The penalties vary based on the severity of the incident.