Reporting An Incident

Employers, occupiers and person in charge must report the following types of incidents to VWA.

Health and safety incidents:

  • death
  • employees or persons who require either:
  • medical treatment by a doctor (eg fractures, administration of a drug or medical treatment)
  • immediate treatment as an in-patient in a hospital
  • incidents involving high risk equipment or plant listed in the Equipment (Public Safety) Regulations 2007


  • theft of explosives
  • injuries caused by explosives

Dangerous goods:

  • any releases of dangerous goods (eg gas leaks or spills of liquids).

What happens if I don't report an incident?

Employers or occupiers that do not report incident appropriately may be prosecuted under the following Acts and Regulations:

Penalties may include fines, enforceable undertakings or warning letters. The penalties vary based on the severity of the incident.