Broadly, WorkSafe's responsibilities are to:
- help avoid workplace injuries occurring
- enforce Victoria's occupational health and safety laws
- provide reasonably priced workplace injury insurance for employers
- help injured workers back into the workforce
- manage the workers' compensation scheme by ensuring the prompt delivery of appropriate services and adopting prudent financial practices.
These responsibilities are outlined in Acts of Parliament including:
- health, safety and welfare in the workplace under the Occupational Health & Safety Act 2004
- workers' compensation and the rehabilitation of injured workers under the Accident Compensation Act 1985 and the Workplace Injury Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2013
- employer insurance and premium under the Workplace Injury Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2013
- explosives and other dangerous goods under the Dangerous Goods Act 1995
- high-risk equipment used in public places and on private premises under the Equipment (Public Safety) Act 1994.