Information for independent impairment assessors (IIAs)

On this page
  1. Definition of independent impairment assessors
  2. Become an independent impairment assessor
  3. Contact details

Independent impairment assessors (IIA) are medical practitioners specially trained to conduct the impairment assessments. These assessments are required for workers that have made a claim for impairment benefits for permanent impairment from a workplace injury.

Impairment assessors represent more than 25 medical specialities and deliver up to 8000 examinations each year to make sure WorkSafe provides timely and equitable lump sum benefits to injured workers. WorkSafe can pay the reasonable costs of your services.

Become an independent impairment assessor

You must attend training by AMA Victoria to become an independent impairment assessor. The training course will give you:

  • administrative information on the assessment of impairment
  • theory and practice of assessing impairment.

You can email for more information.

When you complete the impairment assessment training you can tell us your availability to accept referrals from a WorkSafe Agent by emailing

Contact WorkSafe

If you're an independent impairment assessor accepting referrals from WorkSafe, it's important that WorkSafe's records are up to date. This includes:

  • your latest practice details
  • consulting room contact
  • speciality practice information.

Contact the Impairment Benefit team on 03 9641 1055 or if you have any changes or questions about your role as an IIA.

Popular tasks