Review of inspector decisions
On this page
- Internal review of inspector decisions
- VCAT review of WorkSafe decisions
Internal review of inspector decisions
Under Victorian workers compensation legislation, occupational health and safety legislation, dangerous goods legislation and equipment (public safety) legislation, an eligible person can ask WorkSafe to review a range of decisions made by its inspectors. Such decisions are referred to as 'reviewable decisions' and include refusal to make a reviewable decision. Internal Review of such decisions is a prerequisite to seeking external review.
Internal review forms and documents
- Apply online: Review of an OHS or RTW Inspector's decision
- Apply online: Review a licencing decision
- Download application form: Review an OHS Inspector's decision
- Download application form: Review a Return to Work (RTW) Inspector's decision
- Download application form: Review a licencing decision
- Internal review guiding principles
- Fact sheets
The review function is managed by the Internal Review Unit (IRU) which is designed to provide an accessible, timely and transparent decision making process. Internal review is also intended to improve WorkSafe's decision making processes and provide stakeholders with greater confidence in its decisions.
You can submit your application for an internal review in the following ways:
- hand delivered between 8:30am and 5:00pm Monday to Friday to the Internal Review Unit, 222 Exhibition Street, Melbourne
- lodged by fax 03 8663 5451
- mailed to:
Internal Review Unit
GPO Box 4306
Melbourne VIC 3001
You can contact the Internal Review Unit by phone on 03 8663 5450.
Internal review statistics
You can download the latest statistics about the numbers, types and outcomes of internal review applications.
External review of WorkSafe's decisions by the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
Once IRU has made a decision on an internal review application if you are an eligible person and disagree with that decision (or the IRU failed to make a decision in the statutory time frame) you have a right to apply to the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for external review. Usually, an application to VCAT must be made within 14 days from the date you become aware of the review decision.
There are also a number of other reviewable decisions of the Authority which cannot be internally reviewed, but which are reviewable by VCAT.
Other WorkSafe matters and activities
The IRU only looks only at specific inspector decisions – it does not deal with complaints about conduct of inspectors or other staff or broader health or safety issues or return to work issues.
If you want to contact WorkSafe Victoria about matters other than internal review of an inspector's decision:
- for occupational health and safety matters you can contact the Executive Director WorkSafe Victoria, WorkSafe Victoria, GPO Box 4306 Melbourne 3001, by fax 9641 1711 or e-mail to email@example.com
- for return to work matters, you can contact the Director, Return to Work Division, Injury Support & Service, WorkSafe Victoria, GPO Box 4306 Melbourne 3001, by fax 9641 1772 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
WorkSafe is a trading name of the Victorian WorkCover Authority.