Enforcement policies and documents
The following documents provide more information on WorkSafe's compliance and enforcement activities.
Compliance and enforcement policy
This document incorporates WorkSafe's general prosecution guidelines. It details what considerations apply to WorkSafe's enforcement and prosecution activities and how WorkSafe applies its 'constructive compliance strategy'.
This document updated in March 2017, outlines WorkSafe's general prosecution guidelines (and includes WorkSafe's enforcement criteria).
A summary of WorkSafe's compliance and enforcement policy and general prosecution guidelines.
Supplementary enforcement policies
Criminal Justice Diversion Program
Enforceable group: Victims and persons adversely affected by crime policy
Letters of Caution
Details the VWA's approach to issuing and using Letters of Caution.
Letters of Warning
An outline of WorkSafe's approach to Letters of Warning.
Download the Letter of Warning : PDF : 310KB
Details the VWA's approach to the publication of prosecution outcomes.
Details how a subpoena should be issued to WorkSafe in relation to occupational health and safety matters.
Memoranda of Understanding (MOU)
Victoria's compensation and health and safety laws include a number of Acts of Parliament which WorkSafe administers. This can interact and overlap with the jurisdiction of other Government agencies, with some industries and organisations covered by more than one regulator.
To promote a co-operative approach, WorkSafe has developed Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) with a number of these regulatory agencies. Each Memorandum establishes protocols to deal with cross-jurisdictional issues and aims to remove duplication of requirements for stakeholders.
WorkSafe has Memoranda of Understanding with the following agencies:
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority
- Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
- Energy Safe Victoria
- Environment Protection Authority
- Fair Work Commission
- Heads of Workplace Safety Authorities (HWSA)
- Office of Public Prosecutions (Victoria)
- Victorian Building Authority
- Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority
- Roads Corporation(trading as Vic Roads)
- Memorandum of understanding between HWSA and the Office of National Safety Rail Regulator (ONRSR) – Dangerous Goods
- Memorandum of Understanding between Worksafe Victoria and the Director Transport Safety
- Memorandum of Understanding between WorkCover Corporation of South Australia and Worksafe Victoria about the disclosure of confidential information
- Memorandum of Understanding between Worksafe Victoria and The Commissioner of State Revenue
- Memorandum of Understanding between Essential Services Commission and Worksafe Victoria
- Memorandum Of Understanding Between The Australian Bureau of Statistics and WorkSafe Victoria
- Memorandum Of Understanding Between WorkSafe Victoria and the Office of Public Prosecutions (Victoria)