Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

Reporting an incident

Employers, occupiers and person in charge must report the following types of incidents to VWA.

Health and safety incidents

  • death
  • employees or persons who require either:
    • medical treatment by a doctor (for example, fractures, administration of a drug or medical treatment)
    • immediate treatment as an in-patient in a hospital.
  • incidents involving high risk equipment or plant listed in the Equipment (Public Safety) Regulations 2017


  • theft of explosives
  • injuries caused by explosives

Dangerous goods

  • any releases of dangerous goods (for example, gas leaks or spills of liquids)

What happens if I don't report an incident?

Employers or occupiers that do not report incident appropriately may be prosecuted under the following Acts and Regulations:

Penalties may include fines, enforceable undertakings or warning letters. The penalties vary based on the severity of the incident.