Support centre

Claim Enquiries

Support Centre - Claim Enquiries Close

Most popular questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I think I'm being bullied by someone at work. Is there anything I can do?

A: Yes. WorkSafe Victoria has some helpful information on what to do if you think you're being bullied at work. Nobody should have to put up with bullying on the job.

Check out for some practical advice on what to do and where to get help. If you're still not sure what to do, call the WorkSafe Advisory Service for anonymous safety info on 1800 136 089.

Q: When we're busy, my boss gets me to work quite long hours without a break. How long am I able to work for without a break?

A: Scheduling rest breaks depends on the individual worker, the tasks and the work environment. Fairwork Australia can provide advice about breaks according to your specific job. You can call Fair Work Australia on 1300 799 675 or check out their website at

Q: When I first start a job, what kind of things should my induction cover?

A: During induction your boss should:

  • show you how to use the equipment you'll be working with
  • provide and show you how to safely wear/use any safety gear
  • help you get to know the layout of the workplace
  • introduce you to your immediate supervisor, health and safety representative and workmates
  • explain OHS policies and procedures - including where to find forms, first aid and emergency evacuation procedures
  • explain the roles and responsibilities for safety in the workplace.

Remember, if you're not sure about something during your induction or while you're working, just ask.

Q: If I'm only a casual worker, does that mean I'm not entitled to the same amount of training as the full timers?

A: No. You are entitled to the same amount of training as all the other workers, regardless of how often you work. When you're first learning a task, your boss needs to make sure that you're taught how to do it safely.

Ask your boss or supervisor for training or help if you're not sure how to do something safely. If you're still not sure about something (even after the training), just ask for some extra help.

Q: The person training me at work is not much older than me and doesn't really seem to know the safest ways to do things. Should I be doing the job, even though I don't think it's the right way?

A: No. If you feel that you're not able to do a task safely, don't continue with it until you have received proper training or help.

Ask a more senior staff member or your manager for help if you don't think you're being shown how to do things the safest way. If you've got a Health and Safety Representative (HSR) at work, let them know about the problem. They may be able to help organise some more appropriate training for you.

Q: What's the deal with working late shifts at work – is there an age limit for this?

A: There is no set age limit. However your employer needs to make sure it's safe for you to work late at night and needs to take steps to ensure your safety (security, other staff etc).

If you feel unsafe working late shifts, it's important that you bring this up with your supervisor or manager and let them know why you feel unsafe.

Q: What should I do if I hurt myself on the job?

A: The most important thing to do if you have a work-related injury or illness is to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. You should let your boss know what happened and you may need to fill in a claim form.

Check out The Claims Process for Workers for a step by step guide on what to do if you're injured at work.

Q: What can I do if my boss won't take my claim form?

A: It's actually against the law for your boss not to accept your form. But if they still won't take it from you, you can send it to your WorkSafe Agent.

Find out who your Agent is and contact them about your claim (Your Agent's name should be written on the "If you are injured" poster displayed in your workplace.) You can also call the WorkSafe Advisory Service on 1800 136 089 to find out who your Agent is.

Q: Sometimes we don't seem to have enough safety gear around to use. What does my boss need to supply?

A: your boss needs to provide you with whatever gear you need to do your job safely. Whether it's goggles, gloves, boots, jackets hardhats, or anything else – your boss needs to provide it. And they should also explain how to use the gear and ensure it's kept in good condition.

Talk to your boss or supervisor about the problem and ask if they can organise for some more gear to be provided. If you have a Health and Safety Representative at work, you could also talk to them about the gear and they might be able to speak to the boss for you.

Q: Sometimes I get verbally abused by customers at work. Do I just have to put up with it, or should I bring it up with my boss?

A: You should always raise any concerns you have at the workplace with your boss so that something can be done. It's your boss's job to protect you from abusive customers and make sure that you have a safe place to work.

Tell your boss or supervisor about the problem and explain the incidents that have occurred. Ask your boss what procedures you should be following if a customer abuses you and ask if you could have some extra training on dealing with angry customers.

Q: I work in a kitchen where the floors are always wet and slippery and I often have to carry heavy boxes of food. Is this worth worrying my boss about?

A: Definitely. Slips, trips and falls on wet floors and injuries from heavy lifting are way too common. And they can have severe consequences. Speak to your boss or manager about the issue - they will probably appreciate you identifying the hazard.

You could even suggest ways for solving the issue, for example using trolleys to move heavy boxes, or putting non-slip mats into wet areas.