Licence To Manufacture, Store, Sell Or Import Explosives
You can apply for individual or combinations of the following explosives licence types:
- manufacture explosives in a factory
- manufacture explosives at a place other than a factory
- fill and cap safety cartridges for commercial purposes
- store explosives at a medium scale storage facility
- sell or import explosives.
If you hold a Victorian licence to operate a major hazard facility, you do not require a licence to manufacture or store explosives.
- $40 National Police check
- $20 ASIO security assessment (if you have previously completed an ASIO security assessment through WorkSafe you do not need to repeat or pay for this assessment again.)
Issue or renewal fee
Licence to manufacture explosives at a factory
Licence to manufacture explosives at a premises other than a factory
Licence to store explosives in medium scale storage
$250 for each premises*
$87.50 for each premises*
Licence to store explosives above prescribed amounts
$500.00 for each premises*
$175.00 for each premises*
Licence to sell or import explosives
$21.88 for each premises*
*fees apply for additional authorisations applied for on your licence. See the application form for full details.
Licence is valid for up to 5 years
Where to send the form
WorkSafe Licensing branch
GPO Box 4293
Melbourne VIC 3001
Link to the application form
Application for a Licence authorising the manufacture, storage, sale or import of explosives
Complete the application form and also provide:
- Identification form – natural person to be completed by the individual who is applying for, or nominating someone to, access the HCDG. You must also provide:
- 100 points of identification at least one with a photograph and signature
- identification showing your date of birth
- 2 verified passport sized photographs
- Identification form – non-individual only complete this formif the applicant is abody corporate or company.(If you have previously completed these identification forms, you do not need to complete them again, unless your details have changed.)
- Application to conduct a National Police check and ASIO security assessment form including drivers licence details
- Additional supporting documentation required in sections 7 and 9.
If you are renewing your licence, in addition to providing the information above, please provide your existing licence number.
For information on licensing requirements when using or transporting explosives:
- people authorised to manufacture explosives
- storing explosives
- selling or importing explosives
- transport of explosives in or through the CBD: Melway map
- dangerous goods (explosives) regulations 2011
- Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2000
- licence conditions
You can purchase copies of the Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011 from Information Victoria on 1300 366 356 or you can view them at legislation.vic.gov.au.