What it contains
This guide provides occupational health and safety advice about working near underground services. Use this guide to plan how to safely work near underground services.
The guide explains:
- which laws relate to work near utilities and excavation works
- what to do before starting excavation, including how to treat abandoned, disused and retired underground services
- how to locate underground assets, including electricity cables, gas pipes, water pipes and sewers and telecommunications cables
- dangers when working near underground services
- how to prepare to excavate near underground services, including using non-powered hand tools, vertical and directional boring, heavy machinery, explosives and pile driving