Supported accommodation services policy

Guidelines for supported accommodation for injured workers.

What WorkSafe will pay for

WorkSafe can pay the reasonable costs of supported accommodation services under Victorian workers' compensation legislation (the legislation) where the worker requires residence in a supported accommodation facility on a permanent or semi-permanent basis in order to meet their care and support needs as a result of a work-related illness or injury.

WorkSafe will periodically review a worker's entitlement to supported accommodation to ensure that the level of support and services remain reasonable for the work-related injury or illness and remains payable under the legislation.

This policy must be read in conjunction with the following policies:

  • Attendant care policy
  • Daily living expenses policy


Supported accommodation is a model of care that responds to the needs of workers who have multiple physical, sensory and/or cognitive disabilities arising from their work-related injury or illness which impacts significantly on their capacity for independent living.

The care provided may relate to physical assistance and/or assistance required to address cognitive and psychological issues. The Agent can pay for supported accommodation services where the services:

  • are identified as being the most appropriate and enabling response to a worker's clinically justified care and support needs;
  • optimise functional independence and actively support the worker to achieve their independence; goals;
  • are provided in a way that is consistent with the Clinical Framework for the Delivery of Health Services; and
  • are delivered using a worker centred approach.

Supported accommodation services may provide personal care, domestic and community services, supervision, nursing care, or a combination of all of these.

Supported accommodation facilities should offer:

  • a separate bedroom;
  • a 'home-like' environment with furnishings;
  • standard equipment appropriate to the worker's care and support needs;
  • varied meal choices with high nutritional value;
  • appropriate staffing to meet all personal care needs of the worker;
  • supervision and/or nursing care relevant to the needs of the worker; and
  • accommodation that is clean, hygienic and kept in good repair.

The accommodation service should endeavour to maximise a worker's personal dignity, choice, independence, functional skills and capabilities and should encourage and facilitate his/her participation in social and community activities.

The Agent can consider engaging a case manager to facilitate admission into a supported accommodation facility in circumstances where a worker requires additional support.


In this policy:

Supported Accommodation refers to the following four accommodation facility options available:

  • Shared Supported Accommodation (SSA).
  • Supported Residential Services (SRS) within the meaning of section 5 of the Supported Residential Services (Private Proprietors) Act 2010.
  • Residential Aged Care (RAC).
  • Group Home (within the meaning of Section 3(1) of the Disability Act 2006 and formerly known as Community Residential Unit (CRU)).