Blasting explosives licence

A licence that allows you to use and purchase blasting explosives and may authorise the limited manufacture of ammonium nitrate - fuel oil (up to 50kgs) for your own use.

Apply, renew or amend a licence


New applicants and those renewing their licence will need to:

Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2022

You can purchase copies of the regulations from Information Victoria on 1300 366 356 or you can view them on the Victorian Legislation and Parliamentary documents website.

Mutual recognition of interstate licences

You can apply for mutual recognition of a current blasting licence issued by other states in Australia.

This process is subject to confirmation of your licence by the issuing state and will result in a licence being issued with the same expiry date as the interstate licence.

Before you start your application

You will be required to supply the following documents as part of your application:

  • proof of identity documents
  • proof of passing a WorkSafe approved test or course by a Registered Training Organisation in general blasting, oil wells, open cut mines and quarries or underground mining within six months of completion OR a current interstate blasting explosives licence (certified front and back copy)
  • completed National Police Check and ASIO Security Assessment form which will be lodged by WorkSafe

Receiving the licence

We will make a decision on your licence application, and write to you with that decision, within 60 days of receiving your application.

If your licence application is approved you'll be able to access the digital licence immediately in myWorkSafe.

Fee summary

Contact WorkSafe's licensing branch

To check the progress of an application or if you need assistance, contact the Licensing Branch at:

Licensing Branch
PO Box 279
Geelong Vic 3220

Phone 1300 852 562
Fax 1800 060 727
Email [email protected]

More information