You must notify WorkSafe about construction excavation work involving:
- a trench (if the excavated depth is more than 1.5 metres)
- a shaft (if the excavated depth is more than two metres)
- a tunnel (if the construction excavation would be deep enough for a person to enter or there is a health and safety risk to anyone from the excavation)
What you’ll need
- details about the employer or self-employed person completing the excavation
- details about the supervisor, including training and experience in trenching and excavation
- details of the excavation location and type
- details about risk control measures
Excavations exempt from notification
Some excavations may be exempt from mandatory notifications.
Further information is available in the excavation compliance code 2018 or by contacting WorkSafe's advisory service.