You must notify WorkSafe about construction excavation work involving:
- a trench (if the excavated depth is more than 1.5 metres)
- a shaft (if the excavated depth is more than two metres)
- a tunnel
If the construction excavation would be deep enough for a person to enter or there is a health and safety risk to anyone from the excavation
What you’ll need
- details about the employer or self-employed person completing the excavation
- details about the supervisor, including training and experience in trenching and excavation
- details of the excavation location and type
- details about risk control measures
Excavations exempt from notification
Notification is not required if the excavation is made as part of building work for which a building permit has been issued and is in force under the Building Act 1993.
Further information is available in the excavation compliance code 2018 or by contacting WorkSafe's advisory service - 1800 136 089.