Construction induction training (white card)

Everyone doing construction work is required to complete construction induction training.

Date last updated

Tuesday 14 Jan 2020

Industries and topics
  • Construction
  • Asbestos
  • Building and structure design
Click here to view more industries and topics
View more

About construction induction training (white card)

All people performing construction work require proof of having completed a general Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) construction induction training for the industry.

An employer must accept a Victorian Construction Induction card which will allow you into the premises of a worksite.

How much does it cost?

The cost can vary between registered training providers (RTOs). You are required to pay the cost of your training course.

The card application fee is included in the training course fee.

How to apply

  1. Attend a construction induction training course with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO)

    You must provide the RTO with photo ID when you register for your training.

‘Red card’ holders

If you hold a ‘red card’ issued before 1 July 2008, they are still valid and you are not required to complete new construction induction card training. An employer must accept 'red cards' but may suggest refresher construction induction training. 

If you hold a 'red card' you may be able to apply for a construction induction card via a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) using your red card as evidence of completion of training in the past. If you do not have a suitable 'red card' or a statement of attainment issued by the RTO who provided the training, you will need to complete construction induction training to obtain a 'white card'.