About construction induction training (white card)
In Victoria, all construction induction training courses must be conducted in a face-to-face classroom environment (although some RTO's have been approved to deliver this training via live video link during the COVID-19 pandemic). Construction Induction Training is not permitted to be delivered by online training or elearning (computer based training that is completed at your own pace, at a time convenient to you).
On-line White Card courses and courses that are not from an approved Registered Training Organisation are not accepted. If you complete a White Card course that is not with an approved RTO WorkSafe Victoria will not issue you a White Card for the purposes of undertaking construction work. Only Construction Induction Training that is undertaken with an approved RTO will lead to a White Card being issued to you by WorkSafe Victoria.
List of Registered Training Organisations
How to confirm the right course
When you register to complete the training with an RTO it is recommended that you check you are booking into the right course.
You can confirm if the course offered is the correct course by:
- confirming with the RTO the course code (or unit of competency) for the training offered is
- CPCCWHS1001 - Prepare to work safely in the construction industry.
- the course will be offered in a face to face learning environment
- you will be required to provide photographic ID when you register and on the day of the course
- the course will run for a minimum of 6 hours
- that you will receive a construction induction card issued by WorkSafe Victoria upon successful completion of the course
- The RTO will apply to WorkSafe on your behalf and you should expect the card in the mail approximately two weeks after completing the course.
If the course you are selecting doesn’t meet all of these criteria, it is likely the course you are considering completing will not result in you being issued with a White Card that will allow you to undertake construction work.
Examples of non-approved courses may include:
- advertising as online White Card, and usually at a low cost of under $30.00
- advertising without confirmation of being a RTO
- duration of course offered is less than 6 hours