Dangerous goods vehicle licence

Owners of dangerous goods transport vehicles, such as petrol tankers, are required to licence each vehicle.

Dangerous goods transport requirements

Each vehicle is licensed according to the class of dangerous goods carried if the dangerous goods:

  • on the vehicle are in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres or 500 kilograms
  • in an intermediate bulk container (IBC) and total capacity of all IBCs containing dangerous goods on the vehicle is more than 3000 litres

Dangerous goods materials

Dangerous goods include materials such as:

  • flammable liquids (eg petrol, kerosene, turpentine, flammable paints)
  • corrosives (eg hydrochloric acid)
  • flammable gases (eg LP Gas)
  • non-flammable non-toxic gases (eg CO.2)

How to apply

You can now apply, renew or amend a dangerous goods vehicle licence online at myworksafe.vic.gov.au.

Please note:

  • you may need to supply copies of any associated tank approvals, if applicable, as part of your application
  • the driver must also hold a licence to transport dangerous goods.

Further information

A vehicle licence is not required for the following:

  • a prime mover of a semi-trailer or combination vehicle
  • a trailer with one axle group or single axle and a fifth wheel coupling, designed to convert a semi-trailer into a dog trailer


You are required to pay a fee when you submit an application for a new licence, renewal or amendment to a licence. Your Dangerous goods vehicle licence will be valid for five years.


Licence fee per vehicle.

5 years

This licence is valid for five years.