Who can provide dental services to injured workers
WorkSafe, will only pay for dental services by healthcare professionals who are:
- registered by WorkSafe to provide dental services, and
- registered with the Dental Board of Australia
- Referral from a medical practitioner is not required for provision of dental services. WorkSafe considers dentistry to be a primary contact service. A referral from a medical practitioner is therefore not required.
- No referral to other health services. WorkSafe does not allow dentists to provide referrals to other health services.
How much WorkSafe will pay
WorkSafe will pay the reasonable costs of dental services, as detailed in Dental services fee schedule.
What WorkSafe will pay for
WorkSafe will pay the reasonable costs of dental services that meet all of the following criteria:
- treatment is for a work-related injury or illness
- the provider is currently registered as a dentist with WorkSafe
- any medicines, curative apparatus, appliances or materials for a worker are provided by a registered pharmacist
What WorkSafe will not pay for
WorkSafe will not pay the reasonable cost associated with:
- Non-attendance/cancellation. WorkSafe will not pay for appointments where injured workers cancel or do not attend.
- Telephone conversations. WorkSafe will not pay for telephone consultations or conversations, either to the injured worker or other related parties (such as the employer, WorkSafe, WorkSafe Agents, self-insurers or other healthcare professionals).
- More than one consultation on the same day. WorkSafe will not pay for more than one dental consultation provided on the same day to the same injured worker.
Suspended from providing services to WorkSafe clients
If WorkSafe gives notice to a provider advising them that they are suspended from providing services to WorkSafe clients, WorkSafe will notify the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency or other relevant professional body that regulates the provider, and Medicare Australia of the suspension and the grounds on which the suspension has been issued.