About the licence

A licence to use blasting explosives allows you to use and purchase blasting explosives and may authorise limited manufacture of ammonium nitrate - fuel oil (up to 50kgs) for your own use. Licence holders can also store and transport limited amounts of explosives.

To apply for a licence the applicant must undertake an approved training course and assessment in the use of blasting explosives and requested shot-firing methods through an authorised training provider. Please see a list of training providers above.

Mutual recognition of interstate licences

If you hold a current Blasting Explosives Licence issued by other states in Australia, you can apply for Mutual Recognition of your competency in Victoria.

The Mutual Recognition allows you to apply for a Blasting Explosives Licence in Victoria using your interstate licence as evidence of competency.  This process is subject to confirmation of your licence by the issuing state and will result in licence being issued with the same expiry date as the interstate licence.

Fee summary


Licence fee applies.


For an amendment to the licence.


National Police check.


ASIO security assessment.

5 years

This licence is valid for 5 years.

If you have previously completed an ASIO security assessment through WorkSafe you do not need repeat or pay for this assessment again.

Apply or renew the licence

Are you in a state outside of Victoria?

Applicants residing outside of Victoria will need to contact the WorkSafe Licensing branch for interstate lodgement arrangements.

Note: You can purchase copies of the Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011 from Information Victoria on 1300 366 356 or you can view them at legislation.vic.gov.au.