Fireworks as a pyrotechnician licence

The Pyrotechnicians Licence authorises a person to use fireworks.

WorkSafe no longer authorises licences that allowed the discharge of Chinese firecrackers and theatrical fireworks on a single occasion.

There is a change to the requirement to notify of intended fireworks display – the 7 day notification requirement is extended to indoor/theatrical displays. The requirement continues to be to notify WorkSafe, the relevant fire authority, and local council. However, please check with your council about any additional requirements about the notification period.

Pyrotechnicians can temporarily store fireworks for 7 days – in line with the notification period. The temporary storage must also meet the requirements for medium-scale storage (although a medium-scale storage licence is not required). The location of the temporary storage must be specified in the ‘Notification of Intention to discharge Fireworks’ form.

About the licence

To use fireworks you must hold a licence to use fireworks as a pyrotechnician. This licence also allows you to temporarily store and transport limited amounts of fireworks.

You can apply for the following licence types:

  • Ground display
  • Chinese fireworks
  • Theatrical fireworks
  • Aerial shells (up to 75mm)
  • Aerial shells (up to 100mm)
  • Aerial shells (up to 150mm)
  • Aerial shells (up to 300mm)
  • Aerial salutes (up to 75mm).

Mutual recognition of interstate licences

If you hold a current Pyrotechnician Licence issued by other states in Australia, you can apply for Mutual Recognition of your competency in Victoria.

The Mutual Recognition allows you to apply for a Pyrotechnician Licence in Victoria using your interstate licence as evidence of competency. This process is subject to confirmation of your licence by the issuing state and will result in licence being issued with the same expiry date as the interstate licence.

Fee summary


Per licence.


For an amendment to the licence.


If an assessment of experience is conducted by WorkSafe.


National Police check.


ASIO security assessment.

5 years

This licence is valid for 5 years.

If you have previously completed an ASIO security assessment through WorkSafe you do not need repeat or pay for this assessment again.

Interstate licences granted under mutual recognition will expire on the date of the original licence.

Apply or renew the licence