Organising the funeral
We understand that a funeral is a very personal occasion so we won't tell you which funeral director to use. Asking family, friends or people from your local church or community is a great way to find a funeral director that meets your needs.
Once you have chosen your funeral director, please contact your WorkSafe agent or WorkSafe Advisory service who will be able to assist you further. The WorkSafe agent will work directly with the funeral director to finalise payment.
When can WorkSafe pay for a funeral?
WorkSafe can only pay for a funeral if:
- your family member is considered a worker under Victorian workers' compensation law and their death is work-related
- it is provided by a registered funeral home
- the funeral is held in Australia
What can WorkSafe pay for?
WorkSafe is able to pay up to $15,230* towards the cost of a burial or cremation service and a moderate funeral gathering to honour and celebrate the life of your family member.
The following items could be included as part of the burial or cremation services:
- the funeral director
- any fees for a cremation, coffin, grave site or other fees associated with a burial
- costs to transport your family member to the funeral home
- a service or gathering
- a simple identification plaque
- Other costs for example, flowers, a death certificate or notice in a newspaper
WorkSafe is also able to pay up to $5,120* for travel and accommodation expenses to help immediate family members who live more than 100km away attend the funeral.
*The figures provided apply to deaths that occur on or after 15 October 2017. Maximum amounts are indexed 1 July each year. Figures are correct as at 1 July 2020.
What can't WorkSafe pay for?
WorkSafe cannot pay for the following:
- a vault or crypt
- mourning cars
- large monuments, tombstones or memorials
Want to know more?
If you would like to know more about how WorkSafe can help you arrange the funeral download the fact sheet or contact a WorkSafe Advisor on 1800 136 089.
Find support with Ask Izzy
Support services you can use any time you need extra support including food parcels, housing help, financial aid, mental wellness, specialty health assistance and counselling.