High risk work licence

A high risk work licence allows you to work with certain high risk and plant equipment such as forklifts, cranes, scaffolding, rigging and pressure equipment.

Date last updated

Monday 24 Aug 2020

Industries and topics
  • Agriculture
  • Automotive
  • Construction
Click here to view more industries and topics
View more

High risk work licence requirements

You may have also heard of excavator and ladder licences, however you are not required to have a high risk work licence to use these types of equipment.

WorkSafe issues high risk work licences under the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations (OHS) 2017. You can apply to be licensed for up to 29 classes of high risk work.

How to apply

  1. Complete training

    If you are a new applicant or wish to apply for an additional class to your licence, you will need to complete training via a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and pass the assessment.

    Once you have passed the assessment, you will need to lodge your licence application and notice of assessment within 60 days to obtain a high risk work licence.

    You will also need to provide the RTO with photo ID when registering for training.

  2. Complete an application form

    You can now apply, renew or amend a high risk work licence online at myworksafe.vic.gov.au.

    You will need to upload a copy of your 'statement of attainment' as proof of having completed training at a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

    If you are successful you won't have to wait to receive your licence in the mail. You can now print your licence online at myworksafe.vic.gov.au.

Further information

Can my existing certificate be used?

Certificates of competency or old style certificates that were issued under previous Victorian legislation have now expired and cannot be used to perform high risk work.

If you have an old style certificate, issued pre-1995, or certificates of competency, you will no longer be able to transfer it to a high risk work licence.

If you wish to obtain a high risk work licence you will need to apply for a new high risk work licence.

Interstate licence transfers

If you hold a valid high risk work licence from another Australian state or territory, you can apply to transfer your interstate high risk work licence to a Victorian high risk work licence.

You can only submit an application to transfer an interstate licence if you reside in Victoria. If you do not reside in Victoria, you will need to justify to WorkSafe that you have reasonable grounds for applying for a licence renewal in Victoria.

To apply for a transfer of an interstate high risk work licence, go to www.myworksafe.vic.gov.au.

Fee summary


Application fee per class.


Renewal fee.

5 years

This licence is valid for five years.