Information for injured workers about your claim and coronavirus (COVID-19)

The impacts of coronavirus (COVID-19) continue to evolve. WorkSafe is focussed on your health, safety and wellbeing and is regularly monitoring developments and Australian and Victorian Government guidance.

Directions and industry requirements are regularly updated

This guidance is correct as at time of publication, however, Victorian Chief Health Officer (CHO) Directions and industry requirements are regularly updated. Readers of this guidance need to check the latest CHO Directions for applicability.

If I contract coronavirus (COVID-19) at work will I have an entitlement to compensation?

You may be entitled to workers compensation if you contract coronavirus (COVID-19) at work.

Under legislation, a disease such as coronavirus (COVID19) suffered by a worker would be regarded as being due to the nature of employment, if that employment gave rise to a significantly greater risk of the worker contracting the disease. Examples include where employment involves duties that include interaction with people who have contracted the virus.

WorkSafe is committed to ensuring all workers who contract coronavirus (COVID19) in the workplace receive timely and appropriate supports.

If you are lodging a claim for coronavirus (COVID-19), please provide details of the exposure to the virus and the link to employment.

Where can I find information on how to lodge a claim?

I returned to work following an injury but my employer closed due to coronavirus (COVID-19). What happens to my weekly payments?

Workers who continue to have an incapacity for work and have not had their weekly payments terminated, are eligible to receive weekly compensation when an employer withdraws suitable duties.

If you were working alternative or modified duties prior to your employer shutting down, you may have an entitlement to weekly compensation.

How can I access treatment if I'm required to self-isolate or am not able to attend an appointment because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Supporting you in your recovery is our priority.

WorkSafe introduced temporary arrangements that will allow medical practitioners, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, osteopaths, chiropractors, exercise physiologists, psychologists and accredited mental health social workers to deliver services via telehealth. These arrangements will be in place until further notice.

Telehealth services are telephone or video medical consultations with your medical practitioner in place of face-to-face consultations.

How do I get a certificate of capacity if I am required to self-isolate or am not able to attend an appointment because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?

You should be able to obtain a valid Certificate of Capacity through telehealth

Your Certificate of Capacity can be valid for a maximum of 28 days, unless there are special reasons for the certificate to cover a longer period.

Should I attend an Independent Medical Examination (IME) appointment if I am unwell?

If you or a member of your household has experienced recent symptoms of cold or flu and you have an upcoming appointment, please contact your agent immediately to discuss your situation and the options available to you. You should also follow the advice of the Australian Government Department of Health and the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) regarding any cold and flu symptoms you experience.

Can I attend my IME appointment via telehealth?

Yes - generally. WorkSafe have introduced temporary item codes to allow IMEs to deliver services via telehealth.

If you have been asked to attend an IME and are unsure of the method or would like to request a telehealth IME please contact your agent. There may be some examinations that cannot be completed via telehealth – e.g. impairment benefit range of motion or hearing loss etc.

Who can I contact with any other question about my claim and the coronavirus (COVID-19) measures in place?

If you have any questions relating to your claim and the coronavirus (COVID-19) measures, please contact your WorkSafe agent who will be able to assist you further with any questions.

Where can I find further information about coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Further information can be found on the Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services and Coronavirus Victoria websites.