Since February 1 this year, 40 serious incidents involving falls at construction sites have been reported to WorkSafe.
These include the following incidents, which occurred on building sites in April:
- A man who fell and broke his leg after catching his foot between the rungs of a ladder at Inverloch.
- A man who fractured ribs after falling three metres through a void at Fawkner.
- A man who received concussion after falling 2.4 metres when a truss gave way at a site in Caulfield North.
WorkSafe Acting Head of Hazardous Industries and Industry Practice Dermot Moody said falls were an ongoing issue within the housing construction sector.
“Even a fall from a low height can still lead to serious injury or a death,” Mr Moody said.
"Employers in the housing sector have the same responsibilities as those on any other site to identify risks and ensure correct safety measures are in place.
“Our inspectors will be reminding them of this when they visit housing sites this month.”
Mr Moody said WorkSafe inspectors would not hesitate to take enforcement action where they identified the risk of a fall, or where safe work method statements were not in place for high risk construction tasks.
“Control measures for fall risks are well known and readily available, so there is no excuse not to have them in place.”
Employers can control the risk of falls by:
- Eliminating the risk by doing all or some of the work on the ground or from a solid construction.
The remaining risk can be reduced by:
- Fall prevention devices like scaffolds, perimeter screens, guardrails, elevated work platforms or safety mesh.
- Travel-restraint systems, industrial rope-access systems, catch platforms and fall arrest harness systems.
- Using a ladder or administrative controls.
For more information go to worksafe.vic.gov.au/construction.
Border construction sites under the microscopeNews
04 Mar 2015
Border inspections targeting unsafe construction workNews
18 May 2015
Man dies after fall at Doreen building siteNews
06 Jul 2012
Two dead and one injured in horror weekendNews
20 Feb 2017
Worker dies after 4.3m fall from ladderNews
23 May 2017
11 falls prompts warning about working safely at heightsNews
14 Feb 2018
Housing sites on notice to reduce the risk of fallsNews
01 May 2018
Man dies after fall from factoryNews
13 Jun 2012
Worker dies in hospital following serious fallNews
22 Aug 2018
Falls the focus of Cross Border safety programNews
23 Aug 2018
Builder fined $70,000 after worker fell from roofNews
04 Sep 2018
New asbestos and prevention of falls compliance codes now availableNews
11 Oct 2018
WorkSafe targets housing sites to reduce the risk of fallsNews
23 Nov 2018
Building company fined for failing on fall risksNews
29 Nov 2018
Safety Inspectors to blitz construction sitesNews
21 Mar 2019
Company, director fined after fall deathNews
10 May 2019
Apartment developer fined $80,000 for unsafe worksitesNews
15 May 2019
Demolition company fined $75,000 after worker’s fallNews
07 Aug 2019
Company fined $120,000 for unsafe worksiteNews
16 Oct 2019
Company fined $650,000 after deadly fallNews
13 Nov 2019