Pipecon Pty Ltd was sentenced in the Ballarat County Court today after earlier pleading guilty to a single charge of failing to provide workers with necessary supervision.
The workers were laying pipes at a housing development in the Ballarat suburb of Delacombe in March 2018 when the trench collapsed and they were engulfed.
A 34-year-old man died at the scene while a 21-year-old man died in hospital the following day.
The court heard it was necessary for Pipecon to have reduced the risks to health and safety by providing supervision to ensure workers did not carry out work in the trench unless battering or benching of the excavation was in place and/or trench shields and manhole cages were used.
WorkSafe Executive Director Health and Safety Narelle Beer said the incident has had a significant impact on the community.
"These tragic deaths demonstrated the extreme dangers involved with high-risk construction work and the catastrophic consequences of not making safety the top priority on site," Dr Beer said.
"WorkSafe will continue to take strong enforcement action against those employers who fail to take every reasonable step to protect the health and safety their workers so they can make it home to their families at the end of the day."
To manage trench work risks, duty holders should:
- Ensure a safe work method statement (SWMS) is developed, and followed, for high risk construction work, such as when the trench depth is more than 1.5 metres or powered mobile plant is involved.
- Develop an emergency response plan (ERP) to deal with potential incidents.
- Ensure workers are instructed on the ERP and SWMS and follow them.
- Plan work so it can be done safely, including by ensuring appropriate engulfment protection systems and site security requirements are in place.
- Ensure a competent person, experienced in trenching works, supervises and monitors the work.
- Ensure workers never work outside engulfment control measures where the excavation is of sufficient dimension or depth to allow the entry of a person.
More fines after Mt Waverley collapseNews
18 Nov 2020
Company fined $360,000 after worker's fatal trench fallNews
15 Sep 2021
Construction trenches are hostile environmentsNews
01 Apr 2011
Company fined after trench collapse tragedyNews
12 Nov 2021
Companies and directors charged over Mt Waverley excavationNews
12 Dec 2016
One dead, one injured in trench collapse near BallaratNews
22 Mar 2018
Second worker dies following Delacombe trench collapseNews
22 Mar 2018
Excavation collapse on apprentice leads to $80,000 fineNews
15 May 2018
Company charged over trench collapse deathsNews
09 Jan 2019