Physical injury support

Information for people that have experienced a work-related physical injury.


Get appropriate treatment

Your health is the most important thing. If you’re not sure what type of treatment you need a General Practitioner (GP) is a good place to start. A GP can help you identify appropriate therapy and may be able to recommend a treater.

If you have a physical injury a physiotherapist may also be able to help. Physiotherapists can assess, diagnose and treat a number of injuries and health conditions. They can also issue a Certificate of Capacity if you need to make a WorkCover claim, however your first certificate must be provided by a GP.

Remember to keep all your receipts and invoices for any treatment you receive in case you make a claim.

Notify your employer in writing

Your injury needs to be recorded in your workplace's register of injuries within 30 days. This should:

  • be done by you, or someone on your behalf
  • be done within 30 days, otherwise you may not be entitled to compensation.

If you're not able to record your injury in the register of injuries, you still need to notify your employer in writing within 30 days.

Talk to your employer and let them know about any time away from work or assistance that you need to return to safe work, which could include reduced hours or modifications to your duties or work area.

Decide whether you want to lodge a claim

If you lose income or require treatment because of your injury and you wish to claim compensation from WorkSafe, you need to make a claim.