Report an incident: Criteria for notifiable incidents

If you are unsure, contact WorkSafe on 13 23 60.

An obligation to notify

Under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (OHS Act), employers and self-employed persons must notify WorkSafe immediately after becoming aware an incident has occurred. Failure to report an incident to WorkSafe is an offence and may result in prosecution.

You must report incidents resulting in:

  • death
  • a person needing medical treatment within 48 hours of being exposed to a substance
  • a person needing immediate treatment as an in-patient at a hospital
  • a person needing immediate medical treatment for one of the following injuries: amputation, serious head injury or serious eye injury, removal of skin (example: de-gloving/ scalping) electric shock, spinal injury, loss of a bodily function, serious lacerations (example: requiring stitching or other medical treatment).

You must report the following incidents if they expose a person in the immediate vicinity to an immediate risk to the person's health and safety:

    • registered or licensed plant collapsing, overturning, falling or malfunctioning
    • collapse or failure of an excavation, or shoring supporting an excavation
    • collapse of a building structure (or partial collapse)
    • implosion, explosion, or fire
    • escape, spillage or leakage of any substance
    • plant or objects falling from high places

    COVID-19 incidents

    From 28 July 2020, employers are required to notify WorkSafe immediately on becoming aware that an employee or an independent contractor or a contractor’s employee has received a confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis and has attended the workplace during the infectious period.

    Self-employed persons are also required to directly inform WorkSafe immediately on receiving a confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis if they have attended the workplace during the infectious period.

    The infectious period begins on the date 14 days prior to the onset of symptoms or a confirmed COVID‑19 diagnosis (whichever comes first), until the day on which the person receives a clearance from isolation from the Department of Health and Human Services.

    Mine incidents

    • overturning or collapse of any plant
    • inrush of water, mud, or any gas
    • interruption of the main ventilation system

    Dangerous goods incidents

    All incidents involving dangerous goods must be reported, including:

    • fire
    • explosion
    • spills
    • leakage
    • escape

    Explosive incidents

    All incidents involving explosives must be reported, including:

    • all injuries
    • damage to property
    • fire
    • explosion
    • theft, attempted theft, or unexplained loss of High Consequence Dangerous Goods (HCDGs)
    • any other security incident involving High Consequence Dangerous Goods (HCDGs)

    Explosives and High Consequence Dangerous Goods (HCDGs)

    Employers and occupiers must report incidents involving explosives and High Consequence Dangerous Goods (HCDGs) immediately to:

    • WorkSafe by calling: 13 23 60; and
    • Victoria Police (or Fire Authority) by calling: Emergency 000

    Still unsure if you need to report a health and safety incident call us on 13 23 60.

    Related information