This document is no longer current and is available on the website for historic purposes only.
This content has been replaced by
What it contains
Workers who are unsure how to handle hazardous substances like chemicals, flammable liquids and gases, risk being seriously injured or killed. This guide outlines how employers can identify and control these risks. It explains:
- what hazardous substances are
- the risks associated with these substances
- how to assess the level of risk your workers face
- your legal responsibilities
- your workers’ legal responsibilities
- the legal responsibilities of manufacturers, importers or suppliers of these substances to workplaces
- how to comply with your responsibilities
- how to find more information about complying with occupational health and safety responsibilities
At the end of the document, there is a list of terms used in this document and what they mean.