What it contains
If your work involves confined spaces, there are specific duties and obligations you need to comply with under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHS Act) 2004 and Occupational Health and Safety Regulations (OHS Regulations) 2017. This compliance code gives you practical guidance on how to comply with those duties and obligations.
This information is particularly relevant for you if you are a designer, manufacturer or supplier of plant that includes a confined space, or if you are an employer whose work involves confined spaces. It uses examples and tools you can apply to your own situation.
It includes information on:
- what a confined space is
- who has duties associated with confined spaces
- what the duties are for designers, manufacturers and suppliers
- what the duties are for employers
- how employers can identify hazards and assess risks
- practical measures employers can use to control risks
It is recommended that you follow the compliance code. If you comply with a code, you are deemed to comply with the Act or Regulation duty covered by the code. However, codes are not mandatory and duty holders may choose to use some other way to achieve compliance.