Information for injured workers: Independent impairment assessment

Your claim for impairment benefits requires you to be assessed at an Independent Impairment Assessment. Here's what that involves.


What it contains

An Independent Impairment Assessment is an appointment with a doctor who is specially trained to evaluate permanent impairment. After an appointment this doctor will then write a report. Impairment Assessment reports provide information to your WorkSafe Agent that is used to make a decision about your impairment benefit claim.

This document answers any questions you might have, such as:

  • What does it involve?
  • Who arranges the assessment?
  • Do I need legal representation?
  • What if I need an interpreter?
  • What do I need to take to the assessment?
  • What will I be asked at the Impairment Assessment?
  • Who do I contact if I am unhappy with the Impairment Assessment?