What it contains
Employers or self-employed people performing the following construction excavation or trenching work must send this form to WorkSafe at least 3 days before starting:
- a trench if the excavated depth is more than 1.5 metres
- a shaft if the excavated depth is more than 2 metres
- a tunnel
If the construction excavation will be big enough for a person to enter, or if the excavation is a risk to anyone’s health and safety.
Exempted excavations - Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017 (Reg 354(2)(3))
The requirement to notify WorkSafe Victoria of excavations does not apply to:
- excavation of a shaft or trench made as part of building work for which a building permit has been issued and is in force under the Building Act 1993
- to excavation of a shaft, trench or tunnel being -
- a mine
- a bore to which the Water Act 1989 applies
- a quarry within the meaning of the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990
- made for the purpose of undertaking emergency work
- made for the rescue of any person or the carrying out an emergency response by an emergency service, or
- made for use as a place of burial or interment of the dead.
For further information on excavation works refer to; the Excavation compliance code 2018 or contact WorkSafe's Advisory Service on 1800 136 089.